THE GREAT PACIFIC GARBAGE PATCH
By Pierre Mouchette | Bits-n-Pieces
A "floating island" of trash dubbed the Great Pacific Garbage Patch (GPGP) stretches 1.6 million square kilometers in the North Pacific Ocean. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is a collection of plastics and other human garbage accumulated over time in our oceans. Yes, there is a patch of garbage floating in the ocean twice the size of Texas. The Pacific Ocean is being treated like a giant dumpster! Again, this island is more than twice the size of Texas (three times the size of France) and is growing every day.
The Great Pacific Garbage Patch results from humans depositing waste into the ocean. That waste is picked up by the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre, a vortex of four currents that all meet in the North Pacific. It is estimated that 80% of the trash in the patch comes from land, while the other 20% comes from marine ships.
It is a time bomb because the big stuff is crumbling down to micro-plastics. ACT NOW!
The following are some ways that you can reduce the amount of plastic going into the ocean:
This page provides articles on Life and Life-Health on Mondays and Wednesdays, about your best friends, Cats, and Dogs, and then on Fridays on Environmental issues.