Who Is At A Greater Risk For Mold Toxicity?
Mold toxicity can affect people of all age groups, but it is more harmful to people:
Symptoms of mold toxicity to watch out for:
Allergic reactions - mold spores can result in mold allergies and lead to certain allergic reactions. These can include wheezing, skin rashes, coughing, and congestion. These symptoms may occur after being exposed to toxic mold. Remember that if you have a weak immune system, you are at a greater risk of developing mold-related allergies.
Chronic sinus issues - mold spores can lead to chronic sinusitis and cause severe congestion. It can irritate the mucosal membrane of the nasal passage and trigger sinus-related problems. These may include loss of smell, facial and teeth pain, postnasal drip, and headaches.
Cognitive problems - certain toxins found in molds are linked to brain damage. They enter the brain and central nervous system, impairing cognition and neuroinflammation. Studies suggest that mycotoxins in molds directly damage the neurons and interfere with brain function. As a result, it damages communication between brain cells and causes several cognitive problems, including brain fog, memory loss, and lack of focus and concentration.
Depression and anxiety - mold toxicity can impair neuronal functions and result in disorders associated with anxiety and depression. Toxic mold spores can also disrupt neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine, causing changes in mood and depression symptoms.
Digestive problems - mold toxicity can also lead to digestive issues. Mold-contaminated food, when ingested, can result in gastrointestinal problems and trigger several issues, including stomach pain, diarrhea, acid reflux, and gas. The toxins damage the balance of good bacteria in the intestines and increase the risk of digestive problems.
Fatigue - if you are constantly exhausted and feel like doing nothing, mold toxicity could be the reason behind it. That is because when the body is exposed to mold toxins, it takes extra power to get them out, and as a result, you might feel lazy or lethargic all the time.
Headaches and migraines - exposure to toxic mold can cause severe headaches or migraine attacks in people. These symptoms are usually the result of inflammation in the brain caused by mold spores and other toxic byproducts of molds.
Joint problems - mold toxins can lead to joint stiffness and other issues, resulting in fungal arthritis. Fungal spores can accumulate in bones and tissues and trigger inflammation, which can further cause muscle and joint pain and numerous musculoskeletal issues like limited mobility, swelling, and more. Fungal arthritis can affect the hips, knees, shoulders, and ankles.
Respiratory problems - mold toxins can cause various respiratory issues, affecting all parts of the respiratory tract. It can cause problems in the throat, nose, bronchial tubes, and sinuses and lead to inflammation. Mold spores can cause respiratory problems like chest tightness, severe coughing, sneezing, and shortness of breath.
Skin problems - certain skin problems are also significant symptoms of mold toxicity. These include rashes, itching, redness, and eczema. When exposed to mold spores, the skin triggers immune responses, which further cause inflammation and other skin problems. When inhaled or ingested, mold spores are also linked to skin issues like dermatitis, scaly skin, and dry skin.
If you notice any of the symptoms mentioned above, consult a doctor immediately to get the proper treatment. Always remember that the symptoms mentioned above can be even more dangerous in individuals with a weak immune system or in people with health issues.
Moreover, if you notice mold in your home, it is recommended to consult a professional remediation company and get it treated right away.
This page provides articles on Life and Life-Health on Mondays and Wednesdays, about your best friends, Cats, and Dogs, and then on Fridays on Environmental issues.
For in-depth information on topics of interest in the DIGITAL DIGESTs, click here.