Well for those of us that haven’t, here’s the scoop!
Red mold is any mold — a fungus growing in the form of a filament structure called a hypha, with a reddish color at some stage of its life. In many cases, red mold is not harmful, although it is advisable to avoid close contact with it. Foods on which it grows should be discarded unless they are fermented or specialty foods made in controlled conditions, where the type of mold is known.
Some types of molds can produce toxins, which will make you sick. If you have mold in your home or office, and are concerned, take a swab and take it to a lab for testing. A mycologist can examine it and determine what kind of mold it is, and let you know if it is harmful. This specialist will also provide you with information for eliminating and suppressing the molds growth to make sure it will not come back in the future.